Princeton Real Estate Information

Princeton, Texas, is a smaller but growing community in the northeastern part of the state. It is located on more than four square miles and lies completely within the boundaries of Collin County. At the 2000 census, figures put the city to be home to a population of around 3,500, and residents had a median household annual income of just under $40,000. Those moving to the area who are searching for real estate for sale will find a variety of properties, mostly single-family homes.

The community was begun in the late 1870s, when the Wilson family of T.B. and his brother, George, began farming in the area. In 1881, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad Company extended a line to McKinney, and it passed through the brothers' land. For this reason, the region was commonly referred to as Wilson's Switch, after the two brother. When they applied for a post office, however, the residents learned that the town name Wilson was already taken, and thus they changed it to Princeton after Prince Dowlin, a landowner and promoter of the community. The community was also the home to a prisoner of war camp for German soldiers during World War II.

Children whose parents reside in the town will find themselves assigned to public schools in the Princeton Independent School District, a districts that also encompasses the communities of Culleoka, Lowry Crossing, Branch, Climax and the west side of Lake Lavon. The district is made up of three elementary schools, an intermediate school, a middle school and a high school.

The community is home to the Community Park/WWII P.O.W. Camp and Veterans Memorial Park, and each year holds the Princeton Onion Festival in April, with a 5K Run, a classic car show and a tennis tournament, with crafts and food galore. The nearest hospitals are North Central Medical Center in McKinney and Presbyterian Hospital of Allen.